Director of Scientific Operations
BioPhase Solutions specializes in recruiting top talented professionals for San Diego's Scientific community. We are currently looking for a Dir. of Scientific Operations to work for a leading San Diego biotechnology company.
Director of Scientific Operations
Manage a portfolio of in vivo and in vitro projects, while managing a team of scientists. Enable the delivery of the projects, provide leadership, scientific direction and development to the team. This person will fully utilize their scientific knowledge and expertise, project management skills, problem solving skills, and diplomacy to enable the best possible outcome in all cases. This person is a member of the senior management team directly advising and influencing the company strategy. This role will be predominantly office based but with a close association with laboratory scientists.
- Provide strategic leadership, influencing the direction of Scientific Operations Department & ensuring departmental and company objectives are achieved.
- Manage a team of study directors to deliver on in vivo and in vitro client and research & development projects, to ensure high standards of scientific integrity and detailed data analysis are performed and invoicing targets achieved.
- Work in collaboration with the Head of other departments to confirm the scheduling and resourcing of current and future projects.
- Generate and agree study protocols for in vivo projects.
- Project manage or appoint appropriate study director to project manage the scheduling, planning, execution and delivery of reports for all projects, which includes monitoring projects, providing progress updates and reports, effective and clear presentation of project data, identifying risks to delivery and formulating avoidance, mitigation and contingency plans to guarantee project delivery.
- Research current developments in the scientific literature and where appropriate internally share papers and information about latest technologies and new equipment.
- Ensure the planning and completion of appropriate research and development studies as agreed with the Senior Management Team to enhance the capabilities and products of the company.
- Attend, and if required, present at conferences, symposium or to clients on behalf of the organization.
- Contribute to writing abstracts/patents, client project reports and peer-reviewed publications
- Undertake the full range of duties relevant to the leadership, management and development of the team to ensure their performance meets and or exceeds both the business and their own personal goals/objectives.
- In collaboration with the Management Team to manage and maintain the planning, budgeting and forecasting of projects, working in collaboration with Business Development to agree project scope.
- Maintain a professional demeanor and exterior in all customer and client interactions.
- Participate in the formal staff review processes, e.g. performance and salary reviews, to corporate standards and timescales.
- Promote and maintain a positive, results-orientated work environment, building partnerships and modeling teamwork.
- Cultivate a climate of continuous learning, identifying and implementing ways to improve productivity and quality of our processes and services.
- Be a proactive and influential member of the Senior Management Team & R&D committee.
- Must have a PhD in oncology research with extensive experience, ideally in industry or CRO managing a team of scientists in a scientific environment.
- Knowledge and experience of using in vivo oncology models, in vitro models and imaging required for modeling cancer.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of project management tools and processes.
- Experience at managing multiple parallel projects.
- Critical scientific assessment and highly experienced in appropriate laboratory skills.
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical drug discovery process as well as different types of anti-cancer therapies preferred.