BioPhase Solutions specializes in recruiting top talented professionals for San Diego's Scientific community. We are currently looking for a Sr. Scientist to work for a leading San Diego biotechnology company.
Sr. Scientist - Biochemist
The Biochemist will join our growing research and development team. They will support a dynamic team focused on enhancing the functionality and in vitro/in vivo performance of the company’s nanoparticles. They will be responsible for synthesizing, purifying, and characterizing conjugated nanoparticles; supporting other business units; and reporting on nanoparticle conjugation activities through oral presentations and written reports and data summaries. The ideal candidate will be creative, self-directed, deadline-driven, detail oriented, and comfortable working in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Focus primarily on developing surface modification and functionalization strategies for nanoparticles, including characterization and analysis of conjugated nanoparticles.
- Hands on experience in polymer encapsulation of nanoparticles for subsequent modification including the conjugating of targeting ligands and stealth agents to particle surface.
- Undertake the development of new conjugation procedures.
- Duties will include operating a variety of chemical analysis instrumentation such as UV/Vis spectrometers, FTIR spectrometers, dynamic light scattering, thermogravimetric analysis, etc.
- Working with existing team members under the leadership of a senior scientist in a laboratory environment.
- Communicating results directly to the senior management through processed data tables as well as written and oral reports.
- Delivery of oral presentations to internal colleagues as well as external collaborators and customers.
- Upkeep and review of laboratory notebooks.
- Maintenance of lab equipment and reagents.
- Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, chemical engineering, or relevant field.
- 5-7 years industry experience in biotech./chem.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze data and plan for next steps.
- Ability to work in a faced-paced, dynamic, collaborative work environment.
- Ability to shift working style between carefully following standard procedures and exploring novel approaches.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Exhibits good housekeeping skills to maintain a safe work environment.
- Prior experience with assay development, protein conjugation, and multifactorial optimization to design and develop functional nanoparticles a plus.
- Detail oriented.
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Power Point, graphing software, etc.
- Wet chemistry, analytical chemistry, and spectroscopy (IR, UV-Vis) experience are strongly desired.
- Proficiency in antibody conjugation and purification techniques.
- Experience synthesizing and modifying nanoparticles.