BioPhase Solutions specializes in recruiting top talented professionals for Southern California's Scientific community. We are currently looking for an R&D Manager to work for a leading Orange County cosmetic company.
The R&D Manager contributes to the formulation of nutritional ingestible products and leads the development of innovative new product technologies. This position is responsible for directing and managing the product development process – from concept through manufacturing process – while meeting crucial timelines and budget objectives. In addition, Manager is responsible for executing initiatives with our manufacturing vendors to ensure product quality and efficacy.
- In house formulation of nutritional supplements for oral application including but not limited to tablets, capsules, powders, ready to drink liquids, and specialty foods such as energy bars.
- Supports product development with competitive analysis and research
- Assists with regulatory evaluations to ensure compliant formulas and packaging
- Ensures regulatory requirements are met via labeling and product licensing documentation (scientific research substantiation), technical information from all related product files (raw material documentation as outlined in raw material document checklist), information and research required for domestic and international expansion
- Initiate new product proposals through the development, execution and cross-functional team, identify product performance summary, key ingredients, final claims to meet COGs
- Work with select vendors on line extensions for assigned projects
- Deliver on time and accurate tasks as outlined by the product category tracking timeline
- Work well with cross functional teams
- Assist with research and claim support substantiation by obtaining journal articles as applicable
- Suggest new product ideas/ingredient suggestions
- Mentor R&D junior personnel in supporting project timelines
- Understanding formula development processes and procedures
- Understanding industry regulations and manufacturing practice/quality requirements
- Connecting with raw material suppliers and third party manufacturers
- Works closely with R&D management and Marketing department members
- Works closely with assigned cross-functional team members from Supply Chain and Operations, third party manufacturers, Marketing, Legal, Regulatory, and Business Development on assigned projects
- Work closely with raw material suppliers
- Establishes regular communications stream and follow-up with all team/project members
- Develops strong, positive working relationships with manufacturers and external vendors
- Degree in chemistry, nutrition or the physical sciences.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in the nutraceutical industry
- Excellent knowledge of nutrition formulation and experience troubleshooting formulation issues
- Knowledge of quality assurance and control, performance testing, scale up to production, manufacturing limitations, stability testing, raw ingredient evaluation, and packaging compatibility
- Existing knowledge of and experience working with numerous nutraceutical and functional food industry suppliers and manufacturers
- Experience in / exposure to regulatory and labeling compliance requirements of US and international markets, such as Canada, Europe, and Asia-Pacific.
- Knowledge of Quality System and cGMPs for dietary supplements and foods
- Requires strong communication skills (oral & written)
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office