BioPhase Solutions specializes in recruiting top talented professionals for Southern California's Scientific community. We are currently looking for a Principal Scientist to work for a leading Orange County cosmetic company.
The role involves all aspects of product development for skin care and sun care. The successful candidate must have solid working knowledge of raw materials, botanicals and naturals and must be able to formulate a variety of OTC/ skin care products.
The candidate should also have a passion to develop novel ingredients, be creative in approaches, leveraging current trends, market insights and consumer needs. The job includes but is not limited to formulation, product ideation, new ingredient sourcing, prototype development and scale up to commercial production. The job also entails ensuring that formulas meet expected aesthetics, performance, safety and regulatory requirements. The candidate may direct the activities of 0- 4 people.
- Drive OTC skin care innovation by translating market insights and consumer needs into viable prototypes
- Interface with Marketing, PD and Regulatory to develop and evaluate premium natural skin care formulations
- Stay abreast of developments in the premium skin care and emerging cosmetic technology
- Identify new technologies, evaluate technical data and propose new benefit platforms
- Review clinical data from ingredient suppliers/scientific journals, evaluate its validity and conduct comparative analysis to select best performing actives
- Present innovation and technological advancement in premium skin care, specifically in the natural anti-aging arena
- Study actives and their function as well as their sourcing and manufacturing for purity and safety
- Apply understanding of skin physiology and ingredient chemistry to formulate to maximum purity and efficacy
- Formulate complex emulsions from concept to finish while following brand values
- Multi-task and problem solve, while maintaining a clear sense of priorities and focus
- Ensures the timely completion of product development activities
- Trains and directs junior chemists/technicians.
- Understands global regulatory requirements, including but not limited to CAN, EU and AUS to ensure compliance
- Performs stability and trouble shoots manufacturing issues
- Determines stability of formulations and ensures commercial feasibility
- Follows projects from prototype development through scale-up.
- Works with operations to establish manufacturing work instructions
Ph. D. in chemistry, chemical engineering or M.S in physical sciences, Minimum of 5-10 years of skincare formulation experience, Excellent understanding of physical, chemical and biological properties of ingredients as well as their structure and property relationships, Must be able to research, interpret and report on subject matter to both a technical and non-technical audience, A working knowledge of natural emulsion technology (o/w, w/o, and micro-emulsions), thickeners, surfactants and other raw ingredient used in the cosmetic industry is required.