Fermentation Scientist (Emeryville)
BioPhase Solutions specializes in recruiting top talented professionals for California's Scientific community. We are currently looking for a Fermentation Scientist to work for a leading Bay Area biotechnology company.
This position is for a Scientist with experience in fermentation to advance bench-scale and microtiter plate-based fermentation for an exciting biotech partner located in the East Bay. The Scientist will identify areas of need and address them through developing new technologies or bringing outside technologies into the company.
- Scale-down of fermentation processes to microtiter-plate scale for a variety of microbes
- Strain characterization at bench scale and microtiter-plate scale
- Working with colleagues in Operations for ongoing troubleshooting and process improvements
- Improving the quality of measurements made in plates and fermenters
- Building automated solutions to improve fermentation operations workflows
- Developing new high throughput plate-based assays to use across a variety of microbes
- Internal and external technology transfer projects
- Bring creativity and perseverance across a variety of large and small projects that contribute to installing, validating, and improving the equipment and processes used by the operations team.
- Experience working with a variety of microbes, fermentation processes, and product types
- Strong understanding of the connection between microbial physiology and process performance
- Hands-on experience with bench-scale fermentation and/or plate-based culture methods
- Familiarity with analytical chemistry/assay methods, automation systems, and LIMS
- Strong data analysis skills, including the use of statistics (JMP or similar software) and control charts to monitor and analyze results
- PhD in chemical engineering or microbiology and several years of industry experience preferred
- 1+ years of direct hands-on experience with bench scale fermentation units as well as working with or alongside small scale (microtiter plates) and manufacturing scale fermentation processes.
- Proven track record of developing and running highly accurate and precise fermentation processes for evaluating microbes