BioPhase Solutions specializes in recruiting top talented professionals for Southern California's Scientific community. We are currently looking for a Composite Technician to work for a leading Greater Los Angeles Area aerospace company.
- Trimming and finishing of composite and composite metallic assemblies.
- Assembly of structures including setup, bonding and fastener applications.
- Experience with various types of hand tools or hand-held power tools.
- Read and interpret engineering drawings, an understanding for drawing symbols, flag notes and general notes.
- Use of solvents to prepare surfaces for sealing or assembly.
- Laminate fabrication skills, including prepreg and wet layup.
- Laminate assemblies by determining proper placement of composite materials into molds.
- Prepare parts for bagging, including placement of bleeders, thermocouples, probes and vacuum connections. Check seals on completed bagged parts for leaks.
- Vacuum bag processing, bonding, and oven/autoclave curing.
- Make basic layouts on parts or assemblies in order to establish reference points and to check dimensions using calipers, micrometers, precision scales and torque wrenches.
- Must be able to work per engineering drawings as well as both written and verbal instructions and work with engineers to develop composite hardware fabrication and assembly processes/tooling.
- Layout and measure patterns on epoxy and polyurethane foams, aluminum and wood.
- Cut and shape patterns using planes, shaves, files, sure foams, scrapers, routers, hotwires, mills and lathes.
- Apply sealers, releases, base coats and finish coats using various spray equipment.
- Perform product inspection, rework/repairs, and composites scarfing as required.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum of 2 years with layup, bonding or assembly of composites
- Experience with composite tooling materials (Prepreg, wet layup)
- Must be willing to work significant overtime.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25lbs
- Standing for long periods of time, climbing up and down ladders, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, and stretching are generally required to perform the functions of this position.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Reaming and honing and/or countersinking of uniform close tolerance holes in proper sequence while using the correct tool for the job (e.g., rivet gun and bucking bar, drill motor, power screwdriver, C-squeeze, ratchet wrench, nut runner).
- Set up assemblies and parts in various types of processing and curing equipment such as an autoclave, oven or platens press in order to obtain desired set and cure.
- Ability to operate a ply cutting machine.
- Apply sealant, alodine, primer, adhesives, and special finishes